Subject: [Leica] Oly 9-18 vs Panasonic 7-14: any experience out there?
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Sun, 9 May 2010 20:10:00 +0200

During my trip to US later this month, I plan to take advantage of exchange
rates and relative prices and get a wide angle zoom for my Panasonic GF-1.
When the new 9-18mm from Olympus was announced, I got pretty excited about
it, as its focal range is exactly what I need, and the light weight and
compactness are very much in keeping with the whole Micro 4/3 credo.

However, reading the review of the lens on dpreview, I get a distinct
impression that the 9-18 is dog's breakfast: unsharp in corners (improves
when stopping down, but so does every lens), high chromatic aberration,
flare--in other words, a high price to pay for small size. The Panasonic
7-14mm seems more solid and better performing.

So now I am leaning towards the 7-14. But before placing the order, I would
like to hear any personal experiences with these 2 lenses, in Micro 4/3
mount (the 9-18 is available in regular 4/3 where it is apparently a lot
better optically). The $300 price difference is of no consequence.

TIA,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
Alicante, Spain