Subject: [Leica] IMG: Miyazaki weekend walk
From: geordiepete211 at yahoo.co.uk (Peter Cheyne)
Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 01:23:55 +0900

Here are some photos I took in Miyazaki, my local city, while walking
around with a couple of friends and my soon-to-be 7-year-old daughter.

C & C welcomed!  If you feel inclined, please tell me which you like
and what I could do to improve my walkabout photos (e.g. get closer,
stand further back, don't crop
feet, look for more interesting relations between people/things).

Ten photos, quite a few I know, but I wanted to share a typical
weekend from my life.  I live in rural Miyazaki, South Japan.  My home
is at the foot of a mountain and in front of a rice field.  Most
weekends I hang out with friends from a photography club.  Often we
just walk about the city, take photos, then go to an izakaya (a
relaxed restaurant serving Japanese food, beers, sakes and shochus).

1.  Displaying the restaurant sign
http://www.flickr.com/photos/geordiepete/4614431403/sizes/l/

2.  Hosing down the hot street
http://www.flickr.com/photos/geordiepete/4614518971/sizes/l/
Store owners and home owners often hose down the concrete outside to
help cool down the building.

3.  Toy poodle
http://www.flickr.com/photos/geordiepete/4615029078/sizes/l/

4.  Club touts
http://www.flickr.com/photos/geordiepete/4618097317/sizes/l/
These guys, holding canned coffee from ubiquitous street vending
machines, have quite a sense of humour and pride themselves on being
slick operators.
Their job is to pull passing businessmen into the shady clubs and
brothels in the entertainment district.  I have no idea why, but some
of them will often try to
entice a man who is walking with his wife or girlfriend.

5.  Izakaya waitress taking Maria's order
http://www.flickr.com/photos/geordiepete/4618091945/sizes/l/

6.  Arm wrestle
http://www.flickr.com/photos/geordiepete/4618047143/sizes/l/
One of my photo-walk buddies arm-wrestles my little girl.

7.  Drum game
http://www.flickr.com/photos/geordiepete/4618055633/
One of my daughter's treats is to play the taiko (drum) game after we
visit an izakaya

8.  Favourite drum game
http://www.flickr.com/photos/geordiepete/4621774770/sizes/l/
Here's another of the drum game, this time with colour slide film

9.  Watching TV while waiting for a train
http://www.flickr.com/photos/geordiepete/4621134433/sizes/l/
Japanese and Korean phones have doubled up as TVs for a few years now,
I don't know if that is so in Europe and the US.

10.  On the train
http://www.flickr.com/photos/geordiepete/4618078527/sizes/l/
Here I think my daughter is reading one of those ad banners that hang
from the train ceiling.

Peter Cheyne

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] IMG: Miyazaki weekend walk)
Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] IMG: Miyazaki weekend walk)