Subject: [Leica] IMG: My Eye Doc...
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 21:21:25 -0700

Thanks, Steve, Phillipe and Peter!

As part of the eye exam, they take a digital image of your retinas,
using the lens of your eye as part of the system. You look into a hole
in a big metal box with a padded frame around your face, and center a
little blinking light in your field of vision. Then there's a bright
flash, and an image of your retina is sent to the computer.  It's faster
than downloading an SD card.  :-)

I bring my Leica to the eye exam. Once I get my new glasses, I look
through the camera, and ask them to check what diopter correction I need
to see clearly through the viewfinder.

Then I think I'm going to call my dealer and order a Leica diopter.
I've been getting by with either nothing or the 1.15x third-party
magnifier, which has a diopter adjustment.  But it may be time to get a
Leica diopter, as the magnifier eyepiece is bare metal, and it cuts off
a bit of the corners of the 35mm frame when I wear glasses.  I've had to
give up on monovision contact lenses--they were great a few years ago,
but are too much of a compromise now.  I don't like progressive lenses,
so it's back to Ben Franklin's bifocals.  The joys of middle age.

--Peter