Subject: [Leica] Sony cleans up; takes no prisoners.
From: datamaster at northcoastphotos.com (Gary Todoroff)
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 17:53:11 -0700

I think you are saying, Mark, that the way a camera handles is very
important. I believe that, too, even if we need to sacrifice a bit in
just how big of an enlargement will hold up. Of all the cameras
discussed on this thread, I have experienced the FourThirds Oly E-330
as the best compromise - small, a live-view electronic LCD finder
plus an optical finder with the M -like quality of being on the left
corner of the body instead of in the middle under the prism hump. The
E-330 handles very much like an M, and the Zuiko optics in their
pro-line are superb. After four years, I am EXTREMELY disappointed
that Olympus has abandoned the E-330 design. I had hoped that they
would continue its revolutionary features with better and larger
megapixels. I am equally disappointed that Leica seems to have
designed the M as a luxury item with a retro charm that takes
advantage of about 10 percent of the digital camera revolution.

In fact, I believe that the FourThirds instant-live-view feature of
the E-330 is exactly what the M should have evolved to. With my 25mm
f1.4 Leica Summilux attached to the E-330
( http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Gary+Todoroff/Leica25mm/ ), I am
experiencing an increase in photographic creativity which is as much
or more as when I switched from an SLR to my Leica M2's many years
ago. When I tried to show this approach to a Leica rep, showing him
how beautifully the Olympus met the *intent* of Leica photography,
the instant and condescending response was, "Zat is not en M!"  For
me, I want photographs that look like they were taken with the very
best that a Leica approach can give and could care less if the camera
still looks like an M. Except of course, for the aforementioned small
and quiet approach that both the M and the E-330 share.

So unless I need a 20x30 enlargement, for me the FourThirds E-330 has
taken the M concept into the 21st century. However, for what I have
discovered in the photographic capability of the E-330, neither
Olympus nor Leica seems to want to take cameras in that revolutionary
direction.

Gary Todoroff
Tree LUGger