Subject: [Leica] Sony cleans up; takes no prisoners.
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 13:36:18 +1000

Gary I've seen your work of course and there is no question that you can and
do produce professional results irrespective of equipment.
In my view Olympus reacted to market expectation. They entered the dSLR
market with innovative and different designs but the majority of customers
preferred more conventional forms for their dSLRs. Now they are much more
successful and their E620 for example looks to represent excellent value.
Technical excellence alone won't sell cameras, they need to be what the
customers want. Of course all of that is between Olympus and their
customers. I guess that you are active somewhere there in representing your
views?

In my view all of that applies even more so for M cameras and really their
position in the market place is still consistent, just as it's been since
Rangefinders were sidelined by the advent of the SLR.

There are many many other options if you want or need the whole range of
capabilities that a dSLR offers. The little sub-group of people who want
M's  want them to be exactly that. It is doubtless simplistic but probably
the best example of that in Leica Camera history is the M5.

I can imagine your frustration when your Leica rep said "Zat is not en
M!"  although you were trying to illustrate what could be done with the
equipment you have, but it is essentially true and moving the M line towards
more dSLR type features or an innovative non-traditional design sounds
attractive initially . There is a grave danger though that you end up with a
camera that will not be able to compete directly on features, costs a lot
more and manages to alienate their customer base while trying to attract new
customers from a very overcrowded field.

I wouldn't expect you to agree with my mindset on this and of course respect
your opinions. I think that you would agree though that Leica Camera are
enjoying considerable success now and own their niche doing things exactly
the way they are.

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman

  I think you are saying, Mark, that the way a camera handles is very

Message from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Sony cleans up; takes no prisoners.)