Subject: [Leica] M8 batteries... I think I am giving up......
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 06:38:35 +0100

Hi Frank,
I have some of the cheap batteries, but they have been variable, some fine,
some lasting a short time. Overall still cheaper than new Leica battery,
but, in the end I did get another Leica item.
Firstly, are these batteries made by the original supplier to Leica, but
which failed inspection/quality control? I do not think so, since the case
has recesses for the labels which are a different size and shape to the
Leica one, ie not the same mould.
Secondly, I would not be surprised to find that the Leica units are made by
a local German manufacturer.
Thirdly it is well worth while for a Chinese battery producer to tool for
Leica batteries, even if they are not an official supplier, since the market
is probably quite large at their price.
Fourthly, I remember Joseph Yao telling me of the serious burns they
encountered in A&E on the hands of people who's knockoff 'phone batteries
had gone into thermal runaway whilst they using the 'phone...
So, as the owner of some cheap batteries, I am the user of Leica ones.

FWIW I expect I am unusual on this list, but before the M9, which has a
relatively short battery life, I never flattened a battery on any digital
camera in one day.
cheers,
Frank D.