Subject: [Leica] IMGs: Eastern Sierra
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 08:58:01 +0100

Ever since there was a change in fashion here in the UK and 4x4s went from
farmers vehicles (LandRovers) to being a must-have common fashion item for
some parts of society we always have a few novice off road drivers driving
on the green lanes in the UK, badly churning them up. I like to think they
know no better, as I probably wouldn't had I not learned to drive in a
LandRover on the farm. Sadly these roads have been irreparably damaged. The
Ridgeway, an Iron Age road near here, is completely destroyed in places. All
for a few selfish ignoramus townies playing about in a vehicle they don't
need (a 4x4 is useful around here for a few of weeks every 5 years or so,
otherwise pointless)  but had to have to show how macho they are ;-(
The new 4x4s with all mod-cons weigh about twice what the utilitarian ones
did, which is the large part of the problem. The ATV and off road bikes are
noisy but tend to be light enough to do little damage on these green roads
round here. I can easily imagine how much permanent mess they would make on
ancient bogland though...
Many of the roads are now closed to motor vehicles, which is a shame for
competent off-roaders, but it hasn't stopped the yobs wrecking the lanes,
there are not many police up there.
Frank D.