Subject: [Leica] A test of two cameras.
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 17:32:57 -0400

Jim Nichols success at taking close ups with an older Zukio 35mm, f3.5 lens
on an Oly E-510 camera inspired me to try a similar project, albeit with
much less success. I pulled an SLR Zukio 35mm, f2.8 lens out of my closet
and fitted it to an Oly E-500 camera with the aid of an OM to 4/3 adapter. I
then tried taking a picture of my last day lily. First, I found it almost
impossible to focus the lens with the DSLR camera. The lens must be focused
wide open and there are no focusing aids on the screen. Second, of course,
you have to stop down to take the picture. This hearkens back to the dark
ages of SLR photography. I haven't done this for 30 years. Jim says he used
the camera in the autofocus mode but I don't see how that is possible with a
manual focusing lens. Here is the result. The best of four tries. The rest
are woefully out of focus.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/Day+Lily+_Oly_.jpg.html

Since I was in an experimental mode, I decided to take a picture of the same
flower with a P&S Canon SD780IS, a camera about half the size of a pack of
cigarettes.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/Day+Lily+_780_.JPG.html

Now putting the kit lens back on the Oly E-500, a 14-45mm zoom, I took a
picture of an iron Dachshund foot scraper on our back porch.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/Iron+Dog+_Oly_.JPG.html

Here is the same shot with the Canon P&S.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/Iron+Dog+_780_.JPG.html

No conclusions except that it's not necessary to carry the big stuff around
to take casual pictures.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from frank.dernie at btinternet.com (FRANK DERNIE) ([Leica] A test of two cameras.)
Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] A test of two cameras.)