Subject: [Leica] Received M8 & lenses repaired/adjusted by Solms
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 14:52:28 -0700

Yes, this is really an unhappy string of events.

Counter to that, 2 years ago I sent an M8 and four lenses (Nocti,
21/2.8 ASPH, Tri-Elmar and 28/2) to Solms to have things adjusted and
the lenses coded and the total cost was about $1100 with shipping.
Everything was done well, including adjusting the camera to the Nocti
so that both my M8's focus correctly with that lens wide open. They
also replaced the rear control panel and cover glass for free without
my mentioning it.

So good things can happen.

On the other hand, my Canon experiences have not been as good. In
fact, over the last 10 years Canon has never repaired anything
correctly on the first try, and sometimes not even on the 4th try,
when I gave up.

Overall, third party independent repair persons have been way more
consistent, in a very good way.