Subject: [Leica] Macro
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 22:33:31 -0700

I'm in the same quandary. Sometimes I carry the Visoflex, but that is
a 50 year old way of doing things.

For handy, high quality macro I carry the Canon 5DII with 100 macro.
Not small or light but it works well.

More often I carry the Panasonic G1 with a Nikon 200/4 Micro-Nikkor
(manual) attached. That gives me a macro with an equivalent focal
length of 400mm. I like long macro best, and that one allows me to
get the background blur I like. As noted before, manual focus on the
Panasonics is fairly painless. If I also want shorter macro, I still
have a 55/3.5 Micro-Nikkor. G1's are getting very cheap since the G2
came out.

Quality with the Panasonics is not at 5DII or M9 levels, but it's a
far cry from P&S. I don't like the P&S cameras for macro because of
the huge depth of field (and the noticeably lower image quality).