Subject: [Leica] Photoshopping for Truth? (and a sneaky real estate FS Friday)
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2010 23:50:04 -0700

I'm with Tina on this one.  Completely removing people from a photo is
not meaningful alteration of content?  Excuse me, but that doesn't pass
the smell test.  The Economist cover is blatant manipulation to say what
the editor wanted to say, not what was there.  I'm sure Obama has had
his lonely introspective moments, but this was not one of them.

Cases like this lead to public cynicism about photography, and to the
absolute prohibitions designed to keep us honest (like no dodging and
burning). Then those prohibitions get enforced excessively, and
sometimes get in the way of an honest photographer telling the truth.
And the "gotcha" nature of our society since Watergate has encouraged
the destruction of good, honest people who occasionally bent the
absolute rules.  I've heard just as much about good, honest
photographers fired for dodging and burning as I have about truly
dishonest ones getting their just desserts.

I don't have any solutions. It's much simpler to fire anyone who dodges
or burns in than it is to expect integrity from photographers and
editors. The Economist was not even trying to tell the truth, they were
re-arranging the players for illustrative purposes. What actually
happened at that moment was simply not a consideration.

BTW, it is quite possible to lie simply by cropping.  There was a case
during the McCarthy era where a picture was introduced into evidence
showing two people, the person before the committee and a known
communist, supposedly "proving" their association. The problem was, the
two didn't know each other, and the picture was cropped from a crowd of
people getting off a plane.  That's even more dishonest than the
Economist cover, and it would probably pass the letter of most
newspapers' codes of ethics.

--Peter