Subject: [Leica] Photoshopping truth - a polemic
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2010 14:30:52 -0500

I'm delighted that you've now shared some personal context as it
relates to this discussion;
rather than abstract opinions on truth, right and wrong.

In the Navy and as a student within a specific program
you understand, choose to accept and work within
rules set forth by those institutions.
Great. That makes perfect sense.

I think it important to remember in this discussion
that the photographer who exposed the frame used on The Economist cover
did not eliminate the people and then submit the photograph.
So he did nothing questionable or "wrong" by any standards.

As I understand it, editors and art directors at The Economist made
the decisions
regarding simplification, placement of typography, and editorializing
which would result from those alterations to the original frame.
Editors and art directors at that publication have been doing this
for almost a century.
This publication is famous for their creative, editorial illustrative
covers.
Nothing new or shocking in this. They've been doing it long before
Photoshop.

Having attended and taught college level art and design courses,
as well as college level journalism courses, I think it important
to recognize the different functions of journalists, photographers,
art directors, illustrators, photo illustrators, cartoonists,
editorial cartoonists,
editorial illustrators, editors, publishers, et al;
as well as the stated and/or known traditional purposes of various
publications.

One does not go to The Economist Cover Illustration to find this
week's penetrating documentary news photograph.
One goes to the The Economist Cover Illustration to see what the
Economist editors think about this week's news.
That's the way the The Economist has worked since 1843.

For any number of reasons
you may choose not to submit documentary photographic work
to The Economist or various other publications.

But please do expect or demand that they stop doing what they've done
so well for so long.
Research their back issue covers, over the years -
beautiful, powerful editorial illustration -
expressing opinions which you or I may or may not agree with.

There's a place in our world for this professional, creative work too.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george at imagist.com
http://www.imagist.com