Subject: [Leica] Photoshopping truth - a polemic
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2010 12:27:39 -0500

I'm all for setting personal standards,
and working towards meeting them.

I worked diligently within the
"crop in the camera - print the edge of the negative to prove it"
standard
for a very long time.
Learned a lot and felt very self righteous about it during that time
period.
I still have a whole lot of respect for those who "get it" full frame
each and every time.
But no more respect than for those who create gorgeous visual work
while cropping.

For a very long time now, my subjects and the light
have dictated the proportion of the frame they demand to reside in;
not the window of the arbitrary mechanical device I'm using to record
them.

I've long ago released the conceit that clicking pictures, by
whatever means,
whether altering or not altering them, serves some higher social or
aesthetic purpose;
while continuing to enjoy making and experiencing music, art, and
literature.

High aesthetic and ethical standards have nothing to do with
drawing a line in the sand over the use of an editing tool;
but rather the intention and purpose behind the use of such tools.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george at imagist.com
http://www.imagist.com