Subject: [Leica] Macro
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 18:24:37 -0400

> LUG:
>
> The M8 and M9 are not the best choices for macro photography, even with the
> Visoflex.  I've been looking for a cheap alternative to carry along just
> for
> macro.  Somebody on one of my stock lists uses this combination:
> G9/Olympus
> B-Macro doublet (f=40cm) I assume that means the Canon G9, but what lens is
> that?  I can't find it with Google.
>
> Any other recommendations?
>
> TIA
>
> Tina

It is much much earlier to shoot macro with each successive smaller format;
A Canon G9 gives you a normal lens or diagonal of 9.50 mm's!!!
So that's several formats down from all the other stuff you are shooting.
So you'd measure your approach and use of your macro stuff vs. your regular
stuff.
If it was me  I'd want them to be the same quality of my other work; if not
better. So I'd not go down all those formats to shoot it but try to match
it. .. macro is a mixed and difficult bag so I'd ask what exactly are you
shooting how close and used for what.
I'd advise putting a Canon macro lens on a full frame canon camrea as I
think you've got one  of those bodies already. If you sold them I'd buy one
back again.
All kinds of compact and big and expensive  Macro glass Canon options.
One thing catching my eye is the
Canon Macro Photo MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Manual Focus Lens for EOS which cost
just under grand at B&H.
If it was me I'd  have this with me for hen I needed to get closer than what
the M system is good for.
The M system though is underestimated for how close it can easy go.
I forgot which lens gives me the smallest magnification it may be the 135
3.4 APO. I think you can shoot a 5x7 with those. A 90 would be certainly ok
certainly with the macro thing the macro 90.
And if I was wanting smaller stuff than that id use a DSLR with hopefully a
full frame sensor but maybe a 1.5 or close to it crop circle. Depending on
use.

Canon has a compact 50 a nice 60 and a bigish 100.
And using a zoom in the macro rehelm can be under estimated.
They seem to have those options as well.
But it would seem you want it to be very compact.
Then I'd get a Rebel 1.5 body with a compact macro on the front of it.
There is something to be said for a cheap, lightweight, compact  1.5 crop
DSLR.
I use them everyday.

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner