Subject: [Leica] Macro
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 15:29:52 -0500

I agree totally Mark.

I continue to NOT understand
the quest for easier, less, smaller, cheaper, less, etc ?

Yes iPhones et al are fun and
in the hands of skilled visionaries,
can produce art.

I just did a series of macro images
using the 5D on the Ultima with an 80 Rodenstock Apo enlarging lens
with the intention of using shifts and tilts.
The viewing screens (both the original and the brightscreen) just
suck (for this kind of work).
So I replaced the 5D with the R8/DMR
and immediately found my self in big, huge, heavy, difficult, tilt/
shift macro heaven;
achieving exactly what I envisioned in my mind.

The only body that could be better (given my lenses and other kit)
would be an M9/90macro/Viso because of the additional real estate;
or better yet a 39CFV, Leaf Aptus II-7 to 10, or PhaseOne 25+, 45+ or
65+, back.
With the M9 mega-tool - the question is not "what what other camera
can I get to make macro easier?"
The question is "What can I get to do macro with this incredible M9
tool?"

If all I had was an M9 and wanted to do macro
I'd be all over the 90 macro and viso with bellows and all sorts of
lenses.
(but going from M9 to 1.5, 4/3 or smaller? What is the point?
unless all we're talking about is "oh look there's a neat bug to show
on the web" type of approach)

(The 5D remains a fun and functional tool with Canon lenses)

and of course YMMV

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george at imagist.com