Subject: [Leica] BOATING PESO - "Silent Maid" - A Barnegat Bay Catboat
From: r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard Taylor)
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 16:26:37 -0400

"Silent Maid" is a replica Barnegat Bay Catboat, c. 1920.  She was in Woods
Hole last weekend at the invitation of the Woods Hole Historical Society.
There was a lecture on her history at the Society Saturday and rides were
available Sunday.  She is one pretty boat!

Leaving Eel Pond in Woods Hole:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/rtaylor/PICKS/2010_boating/300_8051.jpg.html
or
http://tinyurl.com/3ayj593

Here are three shots of her underway in a typical Vineyard Sound summer
breeze - a solid 15-20 knots out of the southwest.  She has one reef in.
One of her crew told me that sailing her flat was essential to good boat
speed, so in variable conditions an afternoon race becomes a continual bout
of reefing and un-reefing.  ... no relaxing allowed!

She was fast in the conditions on the Sound Sunday.  At five knots under
power we could not keep up with her.  My guess is she was doing eight
upwind.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/rtaylor/PICKS/2010_boating/300_8145.jpg.html
or
http://tinyurl.com/37jd7t4

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/rtaylor/PICKS/2010_boating/300_8166.jpg.html
or
http://tinyurl.com/366szj2

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/rtaylor/PICKS/2010_boating/300_8171.jpg.html
or
http://tinyurl.com/2v9qnbc

"Silent Maid" was built at the the Independence Seaport Museum in
Philadelphia.  More information at:

http://www.woodboatbuilder.com/pages/maid-home.html

D300 70-200mm f2.8 zoom, ISO400

C&C always welcome.