Subject: [Leica] IMG: Sailing
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 01:00:25 -0400

With triple digit usable ISO's now you'd think flash was surely dead.
But that's what they also said when they jacked TRI X from 320 to 400.
"slow flash" as in the use of extended shutter speeds for plenty of ambient
light in the background and perhaps some blur effects:
Bounce flash;
And TTL flash on a short coiled cord are all very powerful weapons to the
creation of non banal and usable images. I'd suggest to any photo enthusiast
that they check these techniques out.
I spent real money on a Sb-800 flash. I thought it might be really necessary
when I got into doing some photojournalism a few years ago when I got here
from the west coast. Turned out not so much but my pop up flash saved my but
repeatedly. With M use you don't have a pop up flash but you could have
instead a tiny flash you'd keep in a bag where a lens would go.
For when there is NO light. Or for when in very low light when you have to
capture action. For lowering tonal range like in Peter's sailing shots:
And for help in macro photography. Other stuff I'm sure.

--
Mark William Rabiner
mark at rabinergroup.com