Subject: [Leica] Digital point and shoot
From: shino at panix.com (Rei Shinozuka)
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 14:02:43 -0400

i  think mark reiterates a point that is often overlooked in the press,
which is that squares (square millimeters) matter.

as an example, the DLUX4 is a neat little camera, with a wide and fast
lens, but for image quality, a beat-up DSLR like a canon 20D, 5 years
older and 2 megapixels fewer, is simply superior.  and there's a world
of difference between the DLUX4 and the M9.

it's a different paradigm than the analog days, where under the right
circumstances a point and shoot like a Contax T3 could give a Leica M6 a
run for the money and produce slides and negs hard to distinguish.
maybe u4/3 bridges that gap, i don't know, i haven't shot them.  perhaps
the X1 will do the job.

i don't think mark is so much a naysayer, as the voice in the wilderness
who points out  that in the digital world today, there's a performance
gap between system cameras and P&Ss.  he attributes much of this to
sensor size differences.  i tend to agree with him.

-rei