Subject: [Leica] AA or Uncle Earl?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2010 01:42:45 -0400

I am totally mesmerized by the "idea" of making 8x10 contact prints and am
intrigued that other than Ed Weston none of them it seems did that but
projection printed the negs even when making 8x10 sized prints.
Ever hear about the self masking thing that a contact print has?
Each grain self masks itself from the light bouncing around the room .
That's what gets me. I'm sure I'll be doing some before it all goes.
The last negatives I ever shoot may be 8x10.
But I'm interested in shooting 8x10s from all angles.
I should just shoot c41 have them run it and scan them on a medium range
flatbed. Then print them same size and call them digital contacts. I already
do that with 4x5.

http://rabinergroup.com/Catagorypages/Halloween2001.html
Though these were scanned from a pre punched contact sheet.
I have others scanned from the negs.

--
Mark William Rabiner
mark at rabinergroup.com

> From: Geoff Hopkinson <hopsternew at gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 15:31:45 +1000
> To: Leica Users Group <lug at leica-users.org>
> Subject: Re: [Leica] AA or Uncle Earl?
>
> My print you mean? It is this one from 1945, taken with an 8x10 view
> camera.
> It is printed to the negative size but is not a contact print.
>
> http://www.anseladams.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=5010125&Show=ExtInfo
>
> You can read the technical details from there if interested. I have a very
> well printed book (Yosemite and the High Sierra) which contains this
> photograph too but of course the print is very best thing to hold and
> admire
>

> Cheers
> Geoff
> http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman
>

> On 1 August 2010 15:20, Mark Rabiner <mark at rabinergroup.com> wrote:
>
>> Do you recall if it was late in his career when he was shooting with the
>> Hasselblad or earlier with sheet film?
>>
>> --
>> Mark William Rabiner
>> mark at rabinergroup.com
>>

>>> From: Geoff Hopkinson <hopsternew at gmail.com>
>>> Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 14:33:34 +1000
>>> To: Leica Users Group <lug at leica-users.org>
>>> Subject: Re: [Leica] AA or Uncle Earl?
>>>
>>> Mine is a silver gelatin print from an original negative, printed by Alan
>>> Ross. I don't claim any rarity or collectibility for that of course but
>>> there is just one source and one skilled darkroom printmaker for these
>>> and has been since 1975 after he worked as Ansel Adams' assistant. If it
>> was
>>> exceedingly rare or collectible then I simply couldn't justify spending
>>> perhaps 8 or 10,000 dollars or more for a print. However it is from
>> Ansel's
>>> creation, has been meticulously made and is gorgeous to my eyes. My print
>> is
>>> professionally and archivally framed and hangs where I can look at it and
>>> enjoy it every single say. I don't have anything from Yosemite that I
>> shot
>>> hanging within sight of it ;-)
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Geoff