Subject: [Leica] New acquisition
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 21:46:49 +0100

"Peter Klein" <pklein at threshinc.com> wrote

> Douglas:  I took the liberty of adjusting the black and white points on
> your photo find to give it a full range, and converted to B&W:
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/album170/Douglas-WindsorCastle.jpg.html
>
> Which gives me an idea of how you could have your cake and eat it, to.
> Get the photo copied on a really good, high-res flatbed scanner, or on

Thanks Peter, I'd debated that course already with myself , and needless to
say my "keepie" side won out.

So Sonny, when do you think you'll be over in the Auld Sod?  BTW, as for
scanning, the picture is still in its original frame with a wooden slatted
back and I'm reluctant to touch it, preferring to keep it in original
condition. That sentiment may of course change!

Frank as to the date I see from some searches of the internet that Vernon
Heath exhibited images in the the Photographic Society of Scotland in the
1860s which included a View of Windsor Castle, and that, interestingly,
enlarging was used from the 1850s onwards. The Edinburgh Photographic
Society had a condenser and lens in their 1868 inventory.

Here's another useful link and excerpt from same.

Douglas

http://sharlot.org/archives/photographs/19th/book/chapter_11.html

Chapter 11
Historical Enlargements and Image Reversal

This chapter also discusses tinting and age deterioration.

*******

It is unfortunate that many people, including some writers, have the
misconception that photographic enlarging is an advanced technology that
appeared late on the scene. Several writers were under the impression that
in the early days of photography enlargements weren't possible, so if you
wanted an 8x10 print you needed a negative of the same size.

Not so. Enlargers have existed from the beginnings of photography. Sir John
Herschel described his in 1839; it even had a lens corrected for spherical
aberration. That same year Talbot patented an enlarger for his calotypes.
Draper enlarged Daguerreotypes with a copy camera in Massachusetts during
the winter of 1839-1840. By 1857 full-figure portraits six feet tall were
being made and Woodward's solar enlarger was in widespread use.

It is true that most early photographers preferred large plate cameras.
William Henry Jackson is famous for hauling a 20x24 inch glass-plate camera
across the western mountains of the United States on muleback in 1875 and
making superb contact prints. Possibly a lighter and smaller camera would
have enabled Jackson to take even more breathtaking pictures. On the
occasion of his ninetieth birthday in the middle 1930's Jackson was
presented with a Leica 35mm camera. He remarked (National Geographic, Vol
175m No. 2, February 1989, p230.) "If I'd had one of these on the Hayden
Survey, I'd have made many more pictures and lived longer." Yet Ansel Adams
often used the 8 x 10 inch format for many of his classic pictures. Adams
had a choice that Jackson did not. The transition from Jackson's 90 pound
camera to the one pound miniature in less than a lifetime gives talent a
wider scope but does not substitute for it.

Enlarger Light Sources
Enlargers cost money and not all photographers felt they were a business
necessity. Exposures were lengthy before the days of fast bromide paper, and
light sources were a problem. Inventors tried every kind of artificial
light: candles, lamps burning kerosene, whale oil, coal gas, and acetylene;
battery powered carbon arc lights; hydrogen-oxygen limelight. The latter
consisted of a cylinder of lime (calcium carbonate), heated in a gas or
hydrogen-oxygen flame. It produced a brilliant white light much superior to
the yellow light of kerosene. It was first used for general illumination in
1826, and in 1841 to illuminate subjects for calotypes. Some photographers
used acetylene thirty years after Edison invented the electric lamp in 1879,
either because their places of business were not electrified, or simply
because they thought the results were better. Also, early incandescent light
bulb filaments were too large to be placed at the focus of a parabolic
reflector to produce a parallel beam.>

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] New acquisition)