Subject: [Leica] New acquisition
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2010 13:15:35 -0700

Douglas:  I took the liberty of adjusting the black and white points on
your photo find to give it a full range, and converted to B&W:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/album170/Douglas-WindsorCastle.jpg.html

Which gives me an idea of how you could have your cake and eat it, to.
Get the photo copied on a really good, high-res flatbed scanner, or on
medium-format digital--whatever will preserve the detail and tonality of
the photo at print size. I'm sure there are services that would do this
in the UK. Digitally restore the resulting file by doing something akin
to what I did above, plus some cloning to remove the spots.  Then get it
printed, perhaps on good silver paper.  Keep that print. Sell the
original.

This of course presupposes that the process of making a copy costs
significantly less than keeping the original

Just a thought. If the original object itself is what gives you joy,
then, well, it's between you and your wife...  :-)

--Peter

Replies: Reply from imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry) ([Leica] New acquisition)