Subject: [Leica] dpreview: Panasonic officially announces DMC-LX5 premium compact
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2010 18:05:22 -0400

Close?
Except that Leica M digital is 24 x 36mm's. And 4/3's is 18 x 13.5 mm.
I think that's not close - that's far.
But what it's not is a total embarrassment.
It's a 21.6 mm normal lens and its a crop factor of 2 but at least its GOT a
crop factor and somebody makes a normal lens for it.
What's the crop factor on a G11 is anyone ever going to know? They don't
even tell you  what the crop factor is on these point and shoots.
With a system in which a normal lens is single digit like an 8mm I cant even
do the math on what the crop factor is. I only have two core processors in
my Apple. And one may be rotten.

But the price of a DMC-LX5 is $499. Usd.
That's not quite the price of a lens shade on the M system but add a
circular polarizer and it sure does equal out.
Does it need to be compared to a camera body costing 8 grand which will have
a lens on it costing another 8 grand?
Is that helping anything putting them in the same category of any kind?
Why would one want to insist that it did?

--
Mark William Rabiner

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done...