Subject: [Leica] What are the rumours around Leica and Photokina? WAS : Leica annual report
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 13:55:12 +1000

Frank that was just to provide facts for the people expressing an interest
of course. The cancellation is old news now (June 09) and the reasons put
forward by Stefan Daniel, I reported then too. I was there in Germany you
may possibly recall. Remember that M's aren't competing directly with
anything and the S2 of course is competing with some very expensive 'medium
format' products in a tiny niche of their own. 6 or 7000 EURO against the
top Canon and Nikon dSLRs is a rather different prospect. If you don't
consider that price range to be a dis-incentive, Stefan Daniel has also said
(paraphrased) Why would they want to compete in the sharkpool of dSLRs. Keep
an eye out for whatever the 'suitable solution' proves to be for owners of R
lenses but Leica has said repeatedly that it won't be a digital SLR from
Leica. I'm sure that they would sell some to R lens owners but they're not
convinced that is a sufficient demand on its own. With apologies to the Doug
Herrs of the group ;-)

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman