Subject: [Leica] What are the rumours around Leica and Photokina? WAS : Leica annual report
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2010 01:07:55 +0200

I'm in the middle of a translation of Corporate Image/Corporate Design
guidelines, and there's a section about how they want their catalogue
photography shot.

They want it done with a view (monorail) camera with a Hassy/Imacon back
at 38 MP - and even mention a Sinar as their preferred studio equipment.

A lot of the S2 cameras are being sold in Russia to the nouveau riche
and quite a few in the Middle East, like to some sheikh who wants to
take snaps of his falcons.

If I were Leica, I wouldn't care less about WHO is buying them as long
as the money keeps pouring in, and celebrities showing off Leica gear
are going to be more familiar to the classes they move in than some
award-winning professional photographer they've probably never heard of.

If you manufacture something expensive, one of the best marketing
options is to make it attractive to people who have the ready cash, no
matter whether it's a car or a camera.

Cheers
Douglas