Subject: [Leica] Africa - The Okavango Delta
From: benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2010 15:33:43 +0930

We left our things at our camp in Maun, Botswana, and headed into the
Okavango Delta.

People were curious about us on the way and we got a lot of stares:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/freakscene/Africa+2009/Botswana/img221a.jpg.html

Sitting in our first Mokoro one of the polers decided we were a bit
heavy (it might have been my three Leicas, laptop and twenty rolls of
film) and needed to go in a deeper one:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/freakscene/Africa+2009/Botswana/img231a.jpg.html

Once we got going the mokoros were amazingly stable, but standing up
did require some practice:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/freakscene/Africa+2009/Botswana/img258a.jpg.html

The view varied wildly, sometime you could hardly see anything above
the grass:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/freakscene/Africa+2009/Botswana/img881a.jpg.html
(that line might be a kink where I bent the film, or it might be x-ray
damage; this roll got scanned a lot of times, including several times
at Maun airport, but that's another story).

It was amazingly quiet, with only quiet conversation and the sound of
the poles pushing through the water.  The water was much clearer than
I expected.  This poler spotted a crocodile:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/freakscene/Africa+2009/Botswana/img892a.jpg.html
 that swam right under our mokoro.

Leica MP, 35/1.4 asph and 50/2 Hexanon, yellow filter, mix of Tri-X
and Plus-X in Xtol 1+3.

Comments etc appreciated.

Marty

Replies: Reply from rbaron at concentric.net (Robert D. Baron) ([Leica] Africa - The Okavango Delta)