Subject: [Leica] British Columbia photo trip
From: benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 09:15:06 +0930

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 4:40 AM, Lawrence Zeitlin <lrzeitlin at gmail.com>
wrote:
> There is a personal aspect to these last pictures. My daughter and her
> husband owned a small farm in Etlan, VA. in the shadow of the Skyline
> Drive.
> They hoped to raise llamas to use as pack animals for hikers along the
> Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway. At their request we visited some
> BC llama ranches to get some first hand information. Apparently while
> Peruvians have great success breeding and using llamas, it takes a lifetime
> of handling to know just how to approach them and load the packs. Otherwise
> they just turn and spit at you. Llama spit is icky. I know from experience.

Llamas can hybridise with alpacas to create a smaller, less robust but
also tamer pack animal.  The 'cama' is a camel-llama hybrid amusingly
said to have "the strength of a camel but the cooperative temperament
of the llama".  There seems to be a hierarchy of camelid friendliness.
 I've been spat at by all of them except vicunas and I agree, llama
spit is icky - it's not actually spit, but dilute contents of the
first chamber of their stomach.  I like camelids for the same reason
that I like cats - they are friendly, but just up to a point, beyond
which they assert themselves.

Thanks for showing,

Marty