Subject: [Leica] a shot in the dark - life at iso 25600
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 19:29:17 -0400

I think the issue is with both the Nikon D3 and the Leica M9 camera bodies
is that they are not stuck in time but going to progress and soon as sensors
progress which they do every day. The iso ranges on both cameras are going
nowhere but up and soon as will every other parameter of image quality. As
will our abilities to process the images they've made in the past which had
noise issues. So both hardware and software progress as is out abilities to
use them. We are more on top of it.
Sensor development has not reached an impasse or plateau. It is furiously on
the upswing.

The idea that we don't need higher ISO's is a bit daft.
We are going to get them and we are going to use them. Gratefully.
With better sensors come better cameras. And with that come better
photographs made by better photographers.

And the issue is certainly not when we need to call these cameras a D4 or
M10. They can use fractions and hyphens and letters instead of big fat round
numbers.
Every day in every way we are getting better and better.
The time to get a new camera body is never now. Its next year.
The problem is when are you going to want to take a picture?

Mark William Rabiner
Photography
mark at rabinergroup.com

Replies: Reply from jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore) ([Leica] a shot in the dark - life at iso 25600)