Subject: [Leica] IMG: Muddy boats
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 13:08:21 -0400

I was asked off list why some of the boats shown in my LUG submissions have
twin keels. Here is the reason:

Many of the pictures were taken when I lived in Wales. The wide tidal range
in the UK means that many anchoring areas along the shore dry out and boats
settle on the bottom for half a day. In a perverse way many local yachtsmen
consider that a convenience. You can walk out to your boat at its mooring,
stow your muddy boots in the cockpit locker, have a cup of tea; and, if your
timing is right, float free on the rising tide for a good day's sail. In the
evening, you reverse the process and walk home. Boat to shore dinghies are
regarded as unnecessary, but a tide table and waterproof boots are
essential.

Here is a picture, scanned from a print taken with a Leica IIIc, showing
what I mean. The castle is Caernafon Castle. theoretical home castle of the
Prince of Wales. An interesting bit of trivia. Lord Caernafon was the man
who financed the search for Kind Tut's tomb and apparently died of King
Tut's curse (or a meal of bad oysters).

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/Boats+at+Caernafon.jpg.html

Larry Z