Subject: [Leica] Used M9 prices
From: photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Phil)
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 20:14:19 -0400
References: <AANLkTi=7oDG9052_Ba1bO0=bUJmzsM4SKvd4oZ2p2he0@mail.gmail.com> <AANLkTimxfJFQyeYsc0fKVFCPYQwD9n0_2nTf7QWU1p6d@mail.gmail.com> <AANLkTi=twJAmkDba3K_ZAO7WivdtN=wvwnOdUicP=7Na@mail.gmail.com> <AANLkTimp+58zS0tiHi0cdc=Ty3NERyaXmDfcLZVDwkBj@mail.gmail.com> <009101cb453c$5b9f4530$12ddcf90$@earthlink.net> <AANLkTin_1US36PUc1mjEPcP98nq3c0dLZvzujzfX+AJD@mail.gmail.com> <AANLkTi=K2Pfpm=1G+zCqb1SPcBoi9QGCcyLmxi+VfwWN@mail.gmail.com>

I have a friend who has purchased two M9 bodies and several lenses
through the student purchase program. he sold one & made a decent
profit off of it, actually which I told him I don't condone, but
whatever.

The issue is that he is from a family that is certainly
pretty well off which is the reason he was able to take advantage of
the program. He's the ONLY student at our university with an M9
and I'm pretty sure that none of the faculty has one either because
many often live below the level of the students.

I'm willing to wager the number of M9 bodies sold under the student
purchase program is under 100. Most students are saving up for 5D
MkII's or D700's. Lots of the fine art kids are using Hassy systems now
that the price has come down so much.

I'm eligible to buy under the program but there is no way that I can
save up almost $4000 to put down on the body. I'm keeping my M8; if
that dies, I still have my M4, so life could be worse. (then I'll get a
"real" working digital camera like a G11 and use it for work.)

Phil Forrest