Subject: [Leica] Cat hoping
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 12:19:14 +1000

Tina you certainly can't edit in anticipation of what your photos might look
like on the world range of screens of course! Most especially laptop screens
of any kind.
Applying any new gamma curve to shift the mid-tones or adjusting contrast
globally on your shot as is won't add any tonal values naturally. Both ends
are clipped and you made a masterful exposure, no surprise in either.

You have applied a lot of clarity and vibrance in your edit which is
unexpected (by me). Vibrance should be zero affect (being BW film) as is the
colour space (you left it in ProPhoto) but maybe the clarity setting (micro
contrast) might have exacerbated the grain? Or it may be all from the scan
process? Or the film stock or processing? Masking? What noise reduction do
you use in Post? That's more variables than my brain can juggle ;-)

Not to worry, I am always just interested in how other folks operate,
especially successful talented folks (which I ain't!). The shot works fine
for me, even though it contains a cat instead of a dog ;-)

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman