Subject: [Leica] Traveling with a camera
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 09:18:47 -0700

In the good old days of prop driven 4 engine passenger planes everything was
weighed included your carry on bag and if you were in total over weight it
cost a bundle.

So some of the guys I know including self would load the shoulder bag to
everything possible to get in. The checked suit case would be lighter
allowing room for a extra pounds to make the legitimate 40 lbs. limit. So if
the shoulder bag were placed on scale it just made it OK. Other wise it cost
a fortune extra. Obviously bag in near empty state.

A PLAN! Sneaky but it worked until the days of the big jet liners  and
weight didn't seem to be a problem.

We'd arrive at airport extra early, find a large locker... that was in the
days when lockers were available until the morons started using them for
placing bombs.

Find a big locker, empty shoulder bag of the heavy lenses, several camera
bodies and cut the weight at least in half or more. Then lock it up, bag on
shoulder.... "Aaaahhh that felt better!" Then went to check in and the
baggage limit was usually met with a few ounces to spare. All smiling
getting boarding pass next stop Paris!:-)

Of course with a quick stop at locker,  retrieve heavy gear stuffing the bag
back to full capacity and some. Then off to departure gate. Worked wonders.

However due to the economic state of the airlines today and charging for
extra bags we may have to devise a similar method. :-)

cheers,
ted