Subject: [Leica] New Picture Place --- ZONE SYSTEM? ;-)
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 20:39:59 -0700

Ric Carter offered:
Subject: Re: [Leica] New Picture Place --- ZONE SYSTEM? ;-)

> charming
> ric

Hi  Ric,
Yep, Jim sure knows! :-)  Quite simply because he's an older guy who knows
what the light world is all about.

It's KISS for light and all other aspects of photography. I mean you really
don't think a gentlemen of a "slightly mature age"as Jim, you can't say
"old" for heaven sakes! He's still a young guy who would use the KISS
principle to shoot many of his pictures! :-) :-)

Jim's explanation is the best common sense description about the zone system
I've ever read. Anything else is garbage because it does nothing but
distract your attention away from the "PHOTO MOMENT!" Quite simply by
wasting the seconds of time figuring out what zone it is............ the
main photo moment is lost.

UNLESS YOU ARE SHOOTING ROCKS... that haven't moved in a million years! Or
some non breathing element that also hasn't moved in a million years! ;-)

You see it's quite simple really, because this is the way 99.9% of my
photography during the past 60 years has been shot without any knowledge of
the ZONE SYSTEM! Look through viewfinder, image of action looks cool, little
red light comes on.... CLICK! :-) Damn it's so cool! Why waste time thinking
about the zone system?:-)
cheers,
Dr. ted :-)

Replies: Reply from rgacpa at yahoo.com (Bob Adler) ([Leica] New Picture Place --- ZONE SYSTEM? ;-))