Subject: [Leica] Format output obviousness
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 05:07:32 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Richard Man wrote:

>You tell that to Michael Reichmann:
>
>"At one point I found myself looking at raw files on-screen and not being
>sure if I was looking at Hasselblad P45+ files or Canon G10 files. That
>includes at 100% onscreen enlargements."
>
>and
>
>Over a two day period I invited photographers and local industry
>professionals to come to my print studio and look at a series of 13X19"
>prints from an *Epson 3800* printer made on *Ilford Gold Fiber Silk* paper
>which were then hung side by side on my floor-standing print viewing box.
>This collection of seven people included experienced photographers, people
>from the commercial print industry, and other trade professionals. Between
>them there was at least 200 years of photographic industry shooting and
>printing experience.

(snip)

>In every case no one could reliably tell the difference between 13X19"
>prints shot with the $40,000 Hasselblad and Phase One 39 Megapixel back, and
>the new $500 Canon G10.

A 13" x 19" print doesn't come anywhere near testing the medium-format
back's capabilities.  Add some cropping, less-than-optimal field conditions,
and bigger prints, and you'll see more differences in the prints.  Besides,
how many lenses are available for the G10?

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Format output obviousness)