Subject: [Leica] IMG: More form the India shoebox
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 12:50:32 -0400

More pictures from the India shoebox. One of the areas I was asked to
observe was the Indian transportation system. These pictures were simple
snaps to refresh my memory. Unfortunately I could offer few substantive
suggestions.

Driving in India is more hazardous than driving in Boston - and that's
saying a lot. By Indian standards of a few years back, New York City cabbies
are overly disciplined wimps. One of the major problems is the variety of
types of transport simultaneously using the roads. Cabs, busses, oxen,
horses, trucks, bicycles, rickshaws, three wheelers, and even elephants. Out
of the cities, almost all rail crossings were ungated. I'm sure Jayanand
will tell us it is much better now.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/Break+time.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/Beasts+of+burden.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/Railroad+crossing.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/Camel+cart.jpg.html

And now for a wetter image.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/Ganges+crossing.jpg.html

P.S. One of the side benefits of my discussions with the bigwigs of the
Indian automotive industry was that Jasmine Tata, a niece of the head of
Tata Industries, the largest truck manufacturer in India, came to the US to
be my graduate assistant for two years. She was very good. Eventually she
got her Ph.D. and returned to India.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from philippe.amard at sfr.fr (philippe.amard) ([Leica] IMG: More form the India shoebox)