Subject: [Leica] Vivitar
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 22:28:57 -0400

Mark writes:

"If I was running the AARP I'd sue  Vivitar this is an assault to older

people. Though basally they only insult themselves.

I for one will never buy another product with the words "Vivitar" on them

again and I mean it.

Though I honestly thought they'd gone under a decade ago. And had been put

in an old cameras companies home where they can watch TV till they die."

- - - - -

As a card carrying member of the AARP generation, I'm not insulted in the
least. I am a technophile but my lovely wife is challenged by the telephone.
Although we have owned a digital TV for two years, she has never learned to
turn it and the cable box on. As far as computers go, FUGGEDABOUDIT. She
does own a digital camera which I have to turn on and show her which button
to press to take a picture. On the other hand. she is a prize winning artist
and has had her works hung in major museums. Her hobby is stone masonry and
she lays bricks and cuts stones like a master. She would welcome a simple
camera that she just has to point and click the shutter and then receive
finished prints. I'm sure there are millions like her. Incidentally, she has
won prizes in photography as well but I have to load the film for her.

Vivitar, Polaroid, Contax, Bell and Howell and Exacta all went out of
business. The venerable names were bought by other companies and by
distributors who apply them to products made by other firms. Others, like
Leica, license their names. I have "Leica" cameras made by Fuji and by
Panasonic.

Larry Z