Subject: [Leica] Death and rebirth of 4/3
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 10:14:11 -0400

Four thirds format dying? Hardly. It is likely to get a new lease on life in
the movie and TV industry. Panasonic has just introduced a new professional
video camera in the 4/3 format.
http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/14/panasonic-adds-an-interchangeable-lens-camcorder/?nl=technology&emc=cta5
All lenses for 4/3 cameras will fit the mount. Since many unique lenses are
introduced for the movie industry (i.e. ultra fast f .95 optics) they will
be available for still cameras as well.

Incidentally, the story was pointed out to me by my daughter, a Senior
Producer for a major metro area TV station. She says that they have a
Panasonic 4/3 camera on order. She also knows that I have a stock of very
good Olympus lenses and a 4/3 adapter mount and the techies at the station
would like to try some of my lenses before they peel big bucks off their
cash roll to buy made for TV lenses. The big attraction of the Panasonic
camera is that lenses made in consumer volume are a lot cheaper than
comparable pro lenses made in small volume. But I guess every Lugger know
that.
Larry Z

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] Death and rebirth of 4/3)