Subject: [Leica] SD card malfunction
From: sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter)
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 17:40:43 -0500

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 4:46 PM, John Nebel <john.nebel at csdco.com> wrote:

> Sonny,
>
> OK, I'll byte.

That's fine, and I'll agree the theoretical life is amazing, and I don't
doubt that the stuff will hold on to the information.  Probably if you leave
the sd card in situ in the camera, and pipe the info out through the usb, it
will have near eternal life.

But what happens in real life, for me at least, is that I shoot for a day,
maybe 50-100 shots, (sometimes only ten shots for a Friday Flower) pull out
the card, and stick it into a reader slot.  I take down the pix, and stick
the card back into my computer.

Remember, for my M8, on an 8 gig card,  I have in excess of 1000 pictures at
full rez in raw.  I might delete a few here and there, but I don't quit
until I have the card at about 850, maybe 900 shots.

Now, there's wear and tear on the contacts, the plastic case of the SD card
is not exactly bulletproof, and I'm loading the card into two different
computers and a camera.

No white paper can convince me that trash don't happen in these real life
circumstances.

The cards are cheap enough that I retire them after I fill one.  I don't
reformat anymore.  I once did, but I got burned twice. Once the card was
corrupted, and the other time it fell in half. bad glue.   That was two
times too many.

Thanks for the papers. They are interesting.  Maybe the engineers need to
also be photographers.

--
Regards,

Sonny