Subject: [Leica] Anyone doing digital negative and hybrid printing?
From: richard at imagecraft.com (Richard Man)
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 15:04:48 -0700

I'm not sure if Salgado uses a lowly inkjet (even if it is an Epson 1000 or
HP Z6100 etc.) or an imagesetter etc. Any case, here's what Dan wrote to me,
YMMV:

***
And indeed, you can make an Ilford MG IV (or other fine silver paper)
print from a digital negative and have no evidence that it's not from a
camera-original neg. The quality is stunning. We've had master printers
bring their final print along with the original neg. We scan the neg,
spend maybe 20 minutes tweaking and retouching the scan, and then output
the neg on an Epson 3800 (now a 3880) printer and then print it on
Ilford paper. That final print is better than the master silver print
the artist produced from the original negative.

***

It really comes down to two things:
- I really like the look of the FB prints. I know many are happy with inkjet
matt or gloss paper. I like them too, but just not as much as a FB print

- it will take me a long time to master the darkroom advanced techniques...
I can get an OK starting workprint but beyond that, it's just much easier
for me to do using LR or Photoshop.