Subject: [Leica] Salgado S2
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (wildlightphoto at earthlink.net)
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 17:43:15 -0400

Herbert Kanner wrote:

A lens per se cannot manipulate contrast, it merely refracts what is
there. But miscellaneous scattered light not coming from the image
will reduce contrast as if the film (or sensor) had been exposed to a
low level of miscellaneous distributed light before or after the
actual taking of the picture. It is the same phenomenon that we try
to avoid by using a lens hood: scattered light inside the lens. So,
in my opinion, a "low contrast lens" is just a poorly implemented
lens: failure to coat internal elements, shiny internal structural
parts, whatever.
<<<

Seconded.  A low-contrast lens is a sign of photon noise: a lower
signal-to-noise ratio.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

mail2web.com ? Enhanced email for the mobile individual based on Microsoft?

Replies: Reply from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] Salgado S2)