Subject: [Leica] autumnal equinox and China and Macedonia
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 01:18:00 -0400

A couple of hours ago it was the autumnal equinox.
The moment when we are suppose to get exactly 12 hours of day and 12 of
night. But don't.
And coincidently in two more hours it the moment of the full moon.

The Chinese  are more into this then most cultures and I bet this year will
be a big one with both these things so close together.
This year for sure I'm having a mooncake.

http://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/september-equinox-customs.html

"In China the Mid-Autumn Festival, also known as the Moon Festival, is
celebrated around (but not precisely) the time of the September equinox.
This occasion dates back more than 3000 years and occurs around the time of
the full moon. It celebrates the abundance of the summer's harvest and one
of the main foods is the mooncake filled with lotus, sesame seeds, a duck
egg or dried fruit. This tradition originated from the ancient tradition of
making offerings to the sun in the spring and to the moon in the autumn. It
is also a time for families to get together and people often travel long
distances to be with their loved ones. The streets are decorated with
lanterns, incenses are burned and fire dragon dances take place."

Mark William Rabiner
Photography
mark at rabinergroup.com

Although very little is known about the ancient Macedonian calendar, some
believe that the first month began after the autumnal equinox.

Replies: Reply from benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney) ([Leica] autumnal equinox and China and Macedonia)
Reply from richard at imagecraft.com (Richard Man) ([Leica] autumnal equinox and China and Macedonia)