Subject: [Leica] The world's SMALLEST 35mm lens ever for M... Not!
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 11:35:49 +0100

Much more complicated than that!
Here in England "pancakes" are thin, usually served flat sprinkled with
lemon and sugar. Crepes are the similar but thinner French version. In
France there are lots of Creperies and they are served in a multitude of
ways, with both savoury and sweet fillings, pretty well always folded over
so the filling is "internal". Nobody in England would call a pancake a crepe
unless they were being pretentious.
There is no real equivalent in England of what Americans call pancakes,
though those who will have travelled to the USA may well have tried and
enjoyed them, as I have, hence know what an American is talking about if he
says "pancake".
The nearest equivalent to American-style pancakes in the UK would be Scotch
pancakes, or drop scones. Being married to a Scot I am -very- familiar with
them, and make them myself! They are much smaller than the American-style
pancakes I have come across, 3" to 4" diameter, but similar in thickness and
texture to their american cousin. Scotch pancakes are normally served
buttered with Golden Syrup or jam.
Few, if any, people in England would refer to Scotch pancakes as simply
pancakes, since in England a pancake is much larger in diameter and much
thinner.

Another confusing difference between English and American!

FD

PS my favourite difference in English and American meaning is in the word
momentarily, plenty of potential for amusing confusion!