Subject: [Leica] R lenses on the M
From: tomschofield at comcast.net (Tom Schofield)
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 23:36:09 -0700

Actually, I think 2cam vs. 3 cam isn't the issue.  There are two lens mount
variations which come in to play.  Third Cam lenses, which do not have the
first two SL cams, have a ridge all the way around the lens mount that keeps
it from being mounted on a camera that requires those first two cams.  (e.g.
I had a 60mm R-cam lens that would not mount on an early SL bellows, so I
sold it and bought a 3-cam version.)  The second variation is that the upper
bayonet claw on an R or SL2 body is shorter than the corresponding claw on
an SL.  This  allows some superwides which would interfere with the SL
mirror, to mount on an SL2 but not an SL.  The mirror swing was one of the
main differences between the SL2 and SL.  It is probably grinding down that
upper claw to make it match the SL2, that they were referring to on Nemeg.

So, in addition to there being 1 cam, 2 cam, 3 cam, 3d cam and ROM mounts,
you should add SL and non-SL compatible variations of the 2 cam and 3 cam
lenses, for a total of 7 different Leica  reflex lens mount variations!

Which gets back to it being cheaper and easier to buy Adorama's Flashpoint
brand R to M adapter, which I can tell you from experience, does work for
mounting Leica R 3-cam superwides on an M.  (To verify the above, I looked,
and the upper claw on the Adorama adapter does match the SL2 rather than the
SL.)

Doug, oh great R guru, do you have further enlightenment?

Tom (spending waaaay too much time figuring out this post!)