Subject: [Leica] M9 questions
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 13:45:04 +1000

Scott (this is a Leica 21?) as long as you have that lens detect manual
setting correct, in firmware the camera will apply the same level of
vignette correction to the files regardless of DNG or JPEG.  However the
effect may be exacerbated by JPEG processing in camera which increases
contrast and saturation while discarding some image information. Raw gives
you much more room for post correction of course. Keep in mind that the
(in-camera) correction is the minimum required (designed for stopped down
rather than wide open) since the camera cannot accurately determine aperture
in use and needs to avoid possible over correction.  The latest firmware
also has increased that firmware correction for some wides. Also your
content, exposure decisions and post processing will affect how apparent the
corner darkening is. Some vignetting is normal as I'm sure that you
appreciate. The classic example is a shot of snow and add to that
underexposure corrected in post and you have the worst case. Difficult to be
more specific without seeing your results of course.

Finally you don't have a UV/IR fitted do you or some mechanical vignetting?

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman