Subject: [Leica] Translation of question and answer session with Leica Camera executives
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 14:00:59 +1000

Absolutely understandable disappointment for R lens owners of course.
However the expectaiton for a 'solution' this Photokina came entirely from
speculation and desire rather than specific promise. All largely unremarked
here but there has been an awful lot of anguish and emotional outpouring,
dummy spitting, rants and stompimg out of the room in the (dedicated) L
Camera Forum.

Stefan Daniel told us in mid 2009 that they were working on the 'suitable
solution' but not to expect it before this Photokina etc.  That of course
has now slipped further but at least they have provided some slightly more
specific information on the possible form that it may take (in general
terms). I think that Leica Camera have learnt a lesson there and are less
likely to provide any specific models and developments that are only planned
or not.
According to an attendee at the LHSA meeting in Wtezlar Leica management
have now excluded the possible solution prior to photokina 2012.
Personally I am still stunned tht the S2 development costs were some 30
million EURO and I note their comment that other medium format camera
manufacturers occupied something like 50% less floor space at pk. Not a
reassuring indicator for the genre, if unsurprising.

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman