Subject: [Leica] D700
From: photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Philip F)
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2010 14:16:30 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

The Navy's issued 24-120 VR became a manual focus only lens after about 2
weeks in Iraq. The zoom barely worked also, and the front optical group felt
like it was going to drop out of the helical at any time. I eventually just
taped it to 24mm and used the 50mm f/1.8 that Kyle Cassidy sent me while I
was in Fallujah. Granted, the 24-120 VR was probably not meant for desert
combat...

This is a symptom of instantaneous pixel peeping these days I think. I'm
guilty of it too. But really, if you had a Zeiss 21mm f/2.8 and a Leica 21mm
f/2.8 pre-asph Elmarit, the Zeiss is the Leica's equal and with regard to
some image aspects, it's better than the Leica lens. Even Erwin Puts has
said as much, but in the mind of the Leica shooter there could be that
question that the Leica might be insignificantly better even though it's
almost 3x the price. I love my Zeiss 21, but have thought a few times about
the alternatives... naa...
my next project is to graft a Holga 80mm onto a Leica body cap and use that
on the M9. I wonder what lens I'll code it as...

Phil Forrest