Subject: [Leica] R Mid-Range Zooms Charlie Chan
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 04:28:42 -0400

But the major thing which happened was in four years the 35-75 configuration
the orignal for mid range zooms was totally antiquated as it expanded in
both directions over night and a 28-85 or 24-105 was not thought of to be a
bloated compromise. But an accepted norm; a 35-70 just oddly limiting. Even
in a much smaller package such as those made by other companies.
Though interestingly normal zooms were not used anyway as much as wide zooms
and tele zooms. Especially if it had a screechingly limited range of 35-70!
Turned out to be a gap between the 21-35 and 80-200 that people felt they
could live without. But just carry a normal macro.
I think you can shift your weight forward and back and get the same effect
as zooming with a 35 to 70.
Added to this the Leica 35-70 sharp and unflawed as it no doubt was was
bloated beyond all recognition or belief. Though "bloated" may not have been
the word as it weighed a ton!
An optic of that size came to be expected to have a configuration of those
dumb super zooms. An 18-200 or such.  You just had to lug the huge dumb
thing everywhere it never supposedly came off your camera.
But having it go from ever so slightly wide to barely tele was never going
to go over for very long. For all those tons of dollars.
It's one for the collectors. A gold plated bazooka by any other name.

Mark William Rabiner
Photography
mark at rabinergroup.com
Cars:   http://tinyurl.com/2f7ptxb