Subject: [Leica] Southwest lets photographers pre-board
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 11:14:26 -0400

I remember when the TSA announced that professional photographers could
carry on an extra bag in addition to the one carry-on and personal bag
allowed by the airlines.   Transportation Security Administration?s (TSA)
carry-on baggage allowance for
photographers<http://boardingarea.com/blogs/flyingwithfish/2007/01/20/21-december-2006-united-states-transportation-safety-administration-know-the-rules/>.
This allowance specifically states that for Photographic Equipment *?You may
carry on one (1) bag of photographic equipment in addition to one (1)
carry-on and one (1) personal item through the screening checkpoint. The
additional bag must conform to your air carrier?s carry-on restriction for
size and weight.?*
*
*
However, it meant absolutely nothing in real life because the airlines were
the ones to set limits on baggage, not TSA.  TSA only allows you to carry
the extra bag through security.  The airline can still stop you from
carrying it on board the plane!  TSA had to come out later with a further
announcement:   ?*Air carriers may or may not allow the additional carry-on
item on their aircraft. Please check with your air carrier prior to arriving
at the airport.*?

I just carry Leicas that are small enough to fit in one camera bag ;-)  My
membership cards for NPPA and ASMP never got me a thing with airlines (but
I've never flown Southwest, either).

Tina