Subject: [Leica] Adventures in Alpha-Land (warning: for pixel peekers only)
From: digiratidoc at gmail.com (James Laird)
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 19:26:33 -0500

> Could be due to flat lighting, lack of mirror lockup, or other camera
> movements;
> or a combination of above.

George,

I'd say all of the above plus a cheap tripod and probably a less than
perfect photographer. The lighting was indirect shade on my front
porch. My good tripods are naturally at my office, so I had to use a
cheap flimsy tripod I had at home (damn, I just remembered I have a
good Bogen in my truck. Oh well ;-) ) And I did not lock up the
mirror...should have. But I have taken some shots with this machine
which I consider technically stunning, if not great photographs. They
were test shots. I just got this camera 4 days ago so I'm still
learning. So I wouldn't recommend that you disregard it just because
of these test shots. I was asked to provide some test shots showing
the 'noise' at ISO 800, and that's all I was trying to do, not show
the capabilities of the a900 to make superb high-resolution photos.
It's not perfect, it has its foibles, but I think so far that it's a
*very* capable machine in the right hands, with the right glass.

Jim Laird