Subject: [Leica] Roses and Rose hips in Spanish Harlem. with Gourds (Pumpkins).
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2010 10:18:08 -0400

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/lugalrabs/101030_153405.jpg.html

It was before Halloween. The war was over. And there I was walking through
Spanish Harlem clicking full frame pix on the way back from a Doc
appointment. I thought I was in the Hamptons.
Everywhere there were very classy very odd pumpkins spewing out into the
sidewalks. Which if they get odd enough are called "gourds". But there were
glittered and spray painted.

My first pro level camera I got in 1972, I was 21. It was a very good year.
Instead of a Nikon F which would have been expected of me I got the just out
upstart Nikon F2. Eyebrows were raised.
And instead of a 50mm 1.4 or f2 I got the just out with an article in my
Nikon magazine about it: 45mm GN 2.8 pancake blitz lens.
So I walked around with that combination for several years.
I carried with me wherever I went a set of Tiffin close up "filters" 1,2 & 3
Dioptor so I could focus closet than 3 feet which I often did.
It stopped down to f32. Which I often shot it at in events. With a Metz
flash set at half power manual.
F 32 and be there.

I don't have to worry about thing to find one for nostalgia sake as I never
sold it. Still have it. I can still use it on an FM body I still have. But
not an FE-2 which I later mainly used. I cant use it on the new digital
cameras I don't think.

But Mister Kobayashi in his wiseness but mainly coolness had the whim to re
introduce the lens for Nikon. And that happened right as I went digital,
getting a D100 in July 2003. The new 45mm P had been out since 2001.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/50mmnikk
or/index9.htm
Or
http://tinyurl.com/2uuust

I love normal lenses but a 50 on a 35mm camera is not normal. They can feel
like you're working with a short telle.
The breathing space afforded with the 45mm lens I find quite noticeable and
useful.
43.4 is normal.

And that fact that its a pancake makes the camera with lens fit flat right
in my Domke satchel bag.
Its very non unobstreperous.
I like it.

I've returned home.