Subject: [Leica] Rangefinder error on M9
From: photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Phil)
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2010 11:57:49 -0500

The Tele-Elmarit is a fantastic lens. On the digital M cameras it
exhibits focus shift and all its inherent "weaknesses" are magnified.
my Tele-Elmarit works fantastically on my M4 but on the M8/M9 the focus
throw of the barrel is too short and there is a bit of focus shift
which is apparent.
The 90mm ASPH Summicron displays some focus shift and this is based
solely on the users of that lens and their experiences with it on
digital M bodies. What works well on the M8 usually works well on the
M9, the only differences being the edge performance that you can see in
the M9 images.
I wish the M9 were a panacea for rangefinder users, but we're not there
yet with technology. Wide lenses still should be coded or manually
selected, and for a few very popular lenses (21 Super-Angulon, 35
pre-ASPH 'Lux, CV 15mm...) the only solution is to dial in a lens
profile from the menu. When changing lenses, it's kind of a pain in the
ass. The 21 SA doesn't even have provision for a profile, so
experimentation has to be done and a lot of exposure compensation
dialed in too. That can be saved in a user profile but it's still a
workaround. Granted, it's still fewer steps than accessing some of the
functions in a Canon or Nikon DSLR.
Tool for the job though, tool for the job.

Phil Forrest